An extraordinary WTF Council meeting took place in a ceremony in Bhutan on Oct. 10, 2014. At the meeting, the Council decided to give the Korea Taekwondo Association the right to host the 2nd WTF World Cadet Taekwondo Championships at the Taekwondowon in Muju, Korea in 2015.
The meeting took place at the Terma Linea Resort & Spa in Babesa, near the Bhutan capital of Thimphu.
The Council approved the Standing Procedures for Taekwondo Competition at the Olympic Games, the Standing Procedures for WTF World Grand Prix Series, the WTF Ranking Bylaw and the WTF Medical Code.
The WTF Council, however, approved the WTF Competition Rules and Interpretation with minor changes, pending the final approval of the WTF General Assembly.
The Council members discussed ways on how to assist small WTF member national associations.
Before the WTF Council meeting, a traditional Bhutanese opening ceremony was held at the same place.
During the ceremony, WTF President Chungwon Choue awarded an honorary black-belt certificate to His Royal Highness Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuck of Bhutan, who also serves as the representative of His Majesty the King and president of the Bhutan National Olympic committee.
- There have been some changes with respect to the awarding of points with respect to Kyorugi Competition. One point for a shot to the body; Three points for a turning kick to the body. Three points for a kick to the head; four points for a turning kick to the head.
- It was revealed by the Secretary General that the DAEDO PSS Equipment has been designated for use at the Olympic Games in RIo. This was the independent decision of the Swiss timing people who work on other SPorts with the IOC.
- Misconduct by Coaches on the sidelines could now earn them a Yellow Card. This will prompt a Meeting of the Competition Supervisory Board which would determine the case and possibly suspension on the spot from future Tournaments (length varies).
- MNAs are been asked to set up Para Taekwondo Committees in their Organisations.
- If an Athlete comes to the ring with a Coach and someone else who is not a licensed Medical Doctor nor a Physical Therapist, they would be given an automatic Gamjeon and the person would have to leave. Refusal could result in losing the match.
- The Council voted to adopt the the “Olympic Movement Medical Code” which is very strict and which will be placed on WTF’s Website. This remains a very serious matter for the WTF. Failure to abide by the Code could among other things, lead to a loss of Membership for the individual(s) and the Affiliated MNA. As a sub to this, Referees would be required to tell the doctor if the Athlete was hit in the head or just collapsed when calling them to the Mat. This information is critical for immediate treatment – A head injury rather than heart.
- The Council voted to host the 2015 WTF World Cadet Taekwondo Championships in Muju, Korea.
- The next Extraordinary Council Meeting will be held in Bangkok, Thailand on January 16th, 2015.